2007년 6월 18일 월요일

Difference :D


I am doing volunteer work at Heritage Library. I started it before one week ago.

Since i came to Irvine, California, I have nothing to do except ESL class.Well, There is laundry and cooking. it takes alot of time. Even I enjoy housework, I want to do something else.
At that time, I decided to go library. so I can have my own space.
Actually, I cannot say "This library is mine! I own here!" stuff. just..
Our program that send me to USA from Korea, have not much money. That's why program directer managed 10 of us living together in Homestay house.
(living with three other girls in one room is kind of fun. only problem is two bathroom for 8 girls and 2 boys. *do you have any idea how long does it take to a girl done her makeup at morningtime...? it's painful.*)

when i came to library, i found a poster that says ; Library needs volunteers!I applied to volunteer in the library, but they never called me. I thought maybe they don't need me. I really want to do volunteer, but I will stay USA for only 2 month and I was so nervous, my voice was trembling and My English was awful so volunteer manager ask me 'where are you from?'
Luckily, they have a korean librarian, so she translated some stuff for me.
And I got that! Manager Candy ask me when i can come.
I'll go library every monday and wendsday.
Next monday, they gave me the job that make pencil sharpen. In library, they have many yellow pencil.
Manager Candy showed me how she can make pencil sharp with a pencil sharpen machine.
And you know what?
The machine didn't work.
I have no idea! Did I broke it?
I want to ask somebody, but they looks very busy. I just sat still for a while. I have no idea what to do. I couldn't help myself. Maybe the idea, volunteer in a library, was insane? I just came to USA before few weeks ago. I couldn't speak English well, and I couldn't understand most of librarian's talking. I just sait still...I couldn't help myself. I feel very depressed.

I was very happy when they accepted me as a volunteer.
It was just... you cannot imagine that!! I got whole world. I won the lottery. it was so great, so i made special phone call to Korea with international phone card(20$! so expenssive!) to my parents and boyfriend.
They were really proud of me.

And now...I sat still and no idea.
at that time, I found a paper knife. I knew how to sharpen pencil with a paper knife! so i just started that. it took few min to done one pencil, but it was ok.
I can do something well. I want to show them how i do work well.
And Stacy found that and talk to Candy, and Candy came.
"Oh, honey, you don't need to do this. you can use this machine."
"But machine is so noisy... it disturb your working."
"It's ok. it's not disturb us."
Yes, that machine was really noisy. but actually, it wasn't working. but now, Candy started to sharpe a pencil, and it work really well.

Or just the machine don't like me..? no idea...
But finally, the machine start to work ! :D
So i sharpened over 1,000,000 pencil (*^^*) and feel very happy.
I feel so nice. I done something in USA, to help people. :D Now nobody will angry with non-working pencil in Heritage library.
hoho *^^*
And today, Korean librarian said me ; they was very shocked when i used knife to sharpen a pencil. Well.. I didn't know that can shock people.
Most of American do not use knife to sharpen pencil, I guess.
I found out one big different from USA from my hometown, Korea.
hmm ... It's good to know!

댓글 없음: